The EDFI Management Company is a public limited company based in Brussels, Belgium, incorporated in 2016. Today, its shareholders are 9 European Development Finance Institutions and the EDFI Association. EDFI MC's mission is to act as the joint platform for promoting the financial cooperation between EDFI members and the EU institutions. https://www.edfi.eu/
The EDFI Management Company is currently looking to hiring a Portfolio Officer to join the team responsible for implementing EDFI MC's portfolio management activities for its investment facilities AgriFI and ElectriFI.
AgriFI and ElectriFI are impact first investment facilities, investing blended finance provided by the European Commission in the sectors of resp. smallholder farmers' value chains and access to energy. The investment activities of AgriFI and ElectriFI fund are managed each with a dedicated team of Investment Officers and headed by a Fund Manager.
The portfolios of facility investments are managed by a Portfolio Manager and a team of dedicated (senior) Portfolio Officers. The functions of Portfolio Management are fully embedded in the Front Office activities of EDFI MC under the supervision of the Chief Investment Officer.
Next to the AgriFI and ElectriFI facilities, EDFI MC is managing co-financing facilities as well as guarantee facilities. EDFI MC has built a multi-disciplinary organisation of approximately 40 staff members. The company is mission-driven, entrepreneurial, and accountable to meet the high standards of its shareholders and funders.
Reporting to the Portfolio Manager, the Portfolio Officer is implementing portfolio management activities for the several Market Development Facilities (currently AgriFI and ElectriFI) as per EDFI MC's processes, policies, and standards. She/he thereto will act as the direct counterparty to investee companies and will be responsible for managing the relationship with and investment in such company. Under the guidance of the Portfolio Manager, the Portfolio Officer will work closely together with officers in EDFI MC's E&S, Legal, Risk and Finance team.
Your Responsibilities & Tasks
● As a Primary Responsible Officer (PRO) for certain transactions, responsible for
· monitoring the implementation of investment documentation, preparing disbursements, checking compliance (reporting, covenants, repayment schedules, etc.) and evaluating and preparing waiver and change requests;
· monitoring the performance of the investments, contributing to the value creation roadmap, the preparation of a timely exit in case of (quasi-) equity investments, and the possible restructurings of investments;
· proposing the Fair Market Value of (quasi-) equity investments and assessing Expected Credit Loss for loan investments while updating their risk rating;
· providing the necessary reporting on the investments and the facilities to the decision making bodies
· ensuring EDFIMC processes, policies and standards are complied with in EDFI MC's Portfolio Management activities, and including the proper involvement of E&S officer, legal counsel, Risk, Finance, etc.
● As an employee of EDFI MC, you are Representing EDFI MC, establishing and maintaining professional relationships and promoting its activities with investee companies, DFIs and impact investors, the European Commission, the European Delegations, etc.
The ideal candidate for the offered position offers the following qualifications:
● Master's degree in Business Administration, Economics, Finance, or equivalent in experience;
● Minimum 3-5 years of relevant work experience at an investment management company, financial institution or audit company;
● Strong analytical abilities and understanding of P&L and Balance Sheet dynamics, including valuation rules in accordance with IFRS;
● Good understanding of investment instruments, covenants and documentation;
● Good communication skills and able to negotiate with clients (budget, deadlines, reporting requirements, ...)
● At ease with numbers & budget and for reporting/database management;
● Be capable of drafting, delivering, and defending, quality project proposals and memo's;
● Verbal and written fluency in English. French, Dutch and/or Spanish are strong assets;
● Team player in an international environment and ability to work in an independent way.
● In possession of a valid work permit for Belgium and ready to travel from time to time;
● Experience in developing countries, as well as with impact investment funds and/or experience or high interest in any of the agricultural sector or energy sector are a clear asset.
What we offer
● A dynamic and international environment in collaboration with passionate people
● An impactful work in direct contact with entrepreneurs and developing countries
● A full-time employment contract with EDFI MC based in Brussels.
● Compensation in line with bilateral development finance institutions.